FIR and Police Assistance

What is an FIR?

FIR or First Information Report is a written document prepared by the police after they receive information about a crime or offense. The FIR can either be in a written form or verbal form. FIR is also accepted through phone calls and online.

 Who lodges FIR?

FIR can either be lodged by the victim of the offense, or his family. It can also be submitted by anyone who has information about the crime. Even the police officer can file an FIR. You can file an FIR if:

  • The offense has been committed against you
  • You know about the committed offense
  • You are a witness to the committed offense

Importance of FIR

According to Articles 21, 22, 23, 25, 49, 50 of Qanoon-e-Shahadat Order 1984, FIR is a pertinent fact. Therefore, The FIR document holds great importance because it sets things in motion regarding criminal justice. The investigation of the crime starts only after the FIR is registered.

It is the sole duty of a police officer to register FIR without any delay. If he fails to do so, actions can be taken against him.

When is FIR not investigated?

Registration of FIR does not mean that the offense is always investigated. Section 157 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 suggests that under the following situations, the FIR can be registered but not processed further into the investigation. Although in this situation, the police must inform the person filing the FIR.

The procedure of FIRs Registration

The process of FIR registration under Section 154 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 is as follows:

Contents of the FIR

The FIR documents contain the following information

Our Services

Our experienced team of online lawyers not only assists in lawsuits but also helps the clients regarding matters of FIR and police assistance. You can ask a lawyer online about anything related to filing an FIR or procedure. Our team also provides follow up services regarding a matter through being in touch with the investigation of the case. Submit your query to us by filling the form below. You can also WhatsApp or call us to discuss your matter.